ver⋅bose   /vərˈboʊs/
–adjective characterized by the use of many or too many words; wordy

mo⋅rose   /məˈroʊs/
–adjective 1. gloomily or sullenly ill-humored, as a person or mood. 2. characterized by or expressing gloom.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

things that mean a lot

for life or longer, but especially today, this is what matters

The Sleepover Friends:
this series was short-lived, but SOSOSOSO much more important to my childhood than The Baby-Sitters Club (which i still totally read!) I would buy copies from toy safari on park st. and my mom would find them at garage sales or the library sale-- she still does, and she will give them to me! i pretty much based my childhood around trying to be stephanie, my favorite character. she knew everything there was to know about fashion and make-up, and her favorite color combination was red, black and white.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower:
yes, i am perfectly familiar with the fact that this is a "young adult" novel, for teenagers, and that i am a regular old adult, but i adore this book more than anything! if you haven't read it, i highly recommend it. everytime i read it, it changes me. there's not much more i can say, really...

That Ghost:
i adore his music more than i do most people, it is intelligent and heartfelt without being pretentious. it evokes a lot of different emotions in me. i have actually written/obsessed about him before. please check him out!

e.e. cummings:
after i discovered him sometime in high school, e.e. cummings quickly became my favorite poet. the unique formatting, eloquent prose and scattered but somehow thoughtout verses strike a very strong chord with me. this is one of my (many!) favorites:
.....................................
14
i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh.... And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new
.....................................

you will find me referencing him quite often!

Modest Mouse:
i could just go on forever...



i won't.

Just One Teacher In High School:
i hope you know how much you meant to me. which is to say, you still mean more than most. i still have every report and paper i wrote in your classes, and i hope i always will. you are the reason...

Strangers by The Kinks:


this song makes me feel alive. and like i need to be aliver. catch cinematic perfection around the 3:45 mark. sigh...

Anyone That You See Me Smoking Cigarettes and Drinking Coffee With:
those people, those conversations, those laughs, mean more to me than i could ever say. i'll steal some of Why?'s words:
"Even though I haven't seen you in years, yours is a funeral I'd fly to from anywhere."

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:
beauty. nostalgia. love. hate romance. prose. heartbreak. stunning cinematography. it's all there.

"You looked happy. Happy with a secret."

"Joely?
Yeah Tangerine?
Am I ugly?
Nuh-uh.
When I was a kid, I thought I was. I can't believe I'm crying already. Sometimes I think people don't understand how lonely it is to be a kid, like you don't matter. So, I'm eight, and I have these toys, these dolls. My favorite is this ugly girl doll who I call Clementine, and I keep yelling at her, "You can't be ugly! Be pretty!" It's weird, like if I can transform her, I would magically change, too.
You're pretty.
Joely, don't ever leave me.
You're pretty... you're pretty... pretty... "

"Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias."

"It was so intimate. It was like we were already lovers."

i am just feeling very nostalgic, all of my emotions are on the surface waiting.
that's ok.

No comments: